Saturday 13 March 2021

'Albert's Little Vice'

About Albert's Little Vice....

Just thought I'd point out how far ahead of its time my novel actually was. There's humour but also a lot of dark episodes. Mitch's wife, Jackie, is sexually harassed by her immediate office boss. The novel essentially is a satire about office life. I really do tell it all like it is. As I say, Albert's Little Vice is chock full of swearing, physical violence, the lot. Penguin saw the mix of humour and more sober sequences as problematic. As did Hodder and Stoughton, where Hazel ended up working. It was because of this connection that I was able to write to Fay Weldon, who was very encouraging. After numerous rejection slips I gave up. And went back to my painting.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers 👍🎨

Grenville

 


No comments: